Master of Science Degree in Oriental Medicine
Top 10 Reasons to get a Master of Science in Oriental Medicine
Have you ever spent hours in a doctor's office, but the problem was not truly resolved?
We are bombarded with advertisements for new medications, yet our society still suffers from a variety of ailments. With sky-high prices for medical care, patients can often feel stuck in their current condition. As a result, interest in alternative forms of medicine has increased.
Oriental medicine employs natural remedies such as massage and acupuncture. This field is attracting patients young and old who need an alternative to current treatment. If you have been searching for an interesting career that can truly make a difference, oriental medicine may be for you. Here are ten reasons to pursue your Master of Science in Oriental Medicine degree at East West College of Natural Medicine:
Be proud of your career. The work you perform can brighten many patients' days. Oriental medicine is a unique field with which many people are unfamiliar. You could be the one to teach others about this exciting science and improve their lives.
Provide alternatives to traditional medicine. Given the dominance of traditional medical practices, there are plenty who do not realize that alternative medicine is even an option. Provide your community with another way to fulfill its health needs.
Earn your master's and bachelor's degrees concurrently. Upon completion of this program, you will also earn a bachelor's degree in professional health sciences.
Study both Eastern and Western techniques. Get the best of both worlds. We instruct in Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) including acupuncture techniques, cupping, Gua Sha, Qi Gong, Tui Na Medical Massage, and herbology, alongside Western medical practices.
Learn about other biomedical topics. Besides acupuncture and massage techniques, our instructors teach biological sciences, anatomy and physiology, diagnostic skills (like laboratory image testing and physical exams), pharmacology, and nutrition. This knowledge intertwines with oriental medicine to provide you with a more complete understanding of how to treat ailments.
Study abroad. You could have opportunities to study in other countries and further add to your understanding of medicine as a whole.
Hands-on experience. Our students complete their practicum hours in the Student Clinic and have the option to do an off-site externship at an approved extern partner. This way, you can gain real-world experience before you graduate.
Prepare for certification. Our program will prepare you to take the NCCAOM certification exams to obtain certification as a Diplomate of Oriental Medicine (Dipl. O.M.). Successfully completing these exams will assist in qualifying you for licensure in the field.
Open your own business If alternative medicine interests you, chances are that you enjoy exploring your options and thinking outside the box. Opening your own practice could allow you more freedom and utilize what you have learned.
- Help others feel rejuvenated. Traditional medical fields focus on patients' well-being, and, in that regard, oriental medicine is no different. With your degree, you could treat a wide variety of conditions so clients can enjoy their lives once more. If you are compassionate and determined, do not miss out on this opportunity. Fill out this page's contact form or call us today to get started! execute a complementary approach to healthcare.
Program length – 40 months
*This program is not offered online.
East meets West in this program. We instruct in Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) including, acupuncture techniques, cupping, Gua Sha, Qi Gong, Tui Na Medical Massage and herbology, alongside Western medical practices. Courses included in the biomedical portion of the program include, biological sciences, anatomy and physiology, diagnostic skills (laboratory image testing, physical exams, etc.), pharmacology and nutrition.
Students complete their practicum hours in the Student Clinic and have the option to do an off-site externship at an approved extern partner. Study abroad opportunities are available.
Upon completion of the didactic and clinical portions of the program, graduates are prepared to sit for the NCCAOM certification exams to obtain certification as a Diplomate of Oriental Medicine (Dipl. O.M.).
These conditions must be met before applying for admission to the MSOM program. The Application Process Tab has all application requirements.
1. Must be at least 18 years of age
2. Must have at least an associate degree or equivalent from an accredited college or university; and have earned a 2.0 ("C") grade point average. (60 semester credits or 90 quarter credits of courses with a "C" or higher grade).
- Official transcripts documenting the above credits and all work at the college level must be sent from each college/university attended to EWCNM.
- At least 28 (37 quarter hours) of those 60 credits must be taken in the four general education and liberal arts areas listed below with a minimum of at least 3.0 credits in each of the respective areas: Humanities/Fine Arts; Social Behavioral Sciences; English/Communications; Science
3. Must complete an application for admission and return to EWCNM with applicable fee ($100 fee for most students, $150 for transfer, returning and foreign students)
4. Must participate in an interview with the Administrative Department and a second interview with the Academic Department. Out-of-state prospective students may conduct these interviews by phone.
5. Must submit all application materials two weeks prior to the start of classes.
6. Must sign enrollment form upon receipt of the acceptance letter
East West College of Natural Medicine does not discriminate based on race, color, national or ethnic origin, or disability in the administration of its educational policies, admissions practices, scholarship and loan programs.
Upon licensure, MSOM graduates can:
- Open their own acupuncture practice (go into business for themselves)
- Work for an existing acupuncture clinic
- Work for a western medical clinic/integrative medicine center
- Concentrate on VA or insurance billing
- Enter the research field